Thursday, February 16, 2006

Quake 4

I just sent the Necrom screaming home to his mommy! Quake 4 is complete, and what a bastardization of half life 2 and Halo. The story was short and pointless. Their were some interesting elements that could have been expanded upon but all-in-all, all the good elements were poorly introduced and underutilized. The AI was hardly a challenge either most enemies stand and wait for you to shoot them or they shoot each other on accident (I was playing on normal difficulty). Level detail was nice and up to what you would expect from ID Software but level layout was mundane and claustrophobic, no sense of adventure and strictly on rails shoot em up. I was mostly disappointed with the poorly laid out boss battles that a few well placed rocket blast dispatched them with no problem ( I prefer the more creative way of destroying a monster that towers 3 stories over you and flys around on a giant jet back. Seriously something that big deserves a creative way of dealing with it). Shame too, a lot more could have been done, but still it was fun to kick some Strogg ass for a few hours, I mean, who doesn't like being a space marine? I give it a 6 out of 10 a good weekend renter. I still like it better then F.E.A.R!

my biggest gripe about FPS' in general is they give you A, too many guns to use, which you end up under utilizing or B, they don't give you enough guns or interesting ones to use. I also feel that there isn't enough variation in the enemy's you encounter. Usually you end up fighting wave after wave of the same render. It just gets old. I guess real life has you battling similar enemies but I think when fighting it out in a fictional world of alien-human-android-hybrids you could come up with some more wicked looking enemies, not a homogenized set of enemy soldiers that litterly roll off an assembly line. Better luck next time Locutus because Quake 5 should be on its way some time in the near future!

I think I should start a new blog specifically devoted to my videogame reviews. I'll get on that.....well we shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home