Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Optimus Prime Time or Optimus Prime consuming

Get it? Its a play on time and Prime

The Optimus costume is going slower than expected. Construction of Optimus's head is all consuming. I've been working on it every night after work from 10PM-6AM. I am using cardboard to frame out the whole head first, then going over it with paper mache.

Paper mache is an interesting new medium for me to create with. I come from a heavy background in ceramics ie with clay in general. So I am not quite use to the limitations that paper mache offers. It has become a frustrating process, but have learned great results can be found through trial and error. Also turning the news paper into a pulp first, then mixing it with flour and water creates similar consistency of a high grog clay.

Let me tell you making stuff out of paper mache is a messy process. I have been pretty good about keeping the mess contained to the kitchen counter, but splatter can be found as far as the dining room. Thank god we have wood floors, it makes clean up a seemingly easy task. When the flour and water mixture drys its a bitch to get off what ever it adhered to. Especially arm hair. I have to pull clumps of it off of me, yanking the hair with it. Scrubbing the stuff off only succeeds in irritating my skin .

Overal I am very pleased with the work I've done. The head piece is looking just like Optimus. Although its larger than I would have liked, I'll work on how fitting the damn thing on my head latter. I am still debaing what to do with the back of the head. Its not quite the same as Optimus's character design, but I think I might get away with some artistic freedom . I believe the only critism I would recieve, would be from hard core Transformer fans, otherwise I believe people will be like "holy shit you made that!" Check this site for some other optimus prime costumes http://www.truffulatree.com.au/badoptimus.php. Shit House Optimus is my personal favorite, and I will say my costume will look nothing like it, At all! Wish I could post pics of my progress, but should beable to very soon. My bro ordered all the pieces to the ultimate gaming PC today for a grand tottal of $1,850.00, parts should start ariving next week.

All thats left now is to start sanding down the rough edges on the Optimus helmet and piant it. Shouldn't take too long, but I am debating if I should spay paint it or go with an acryllic. Either way I need to make sure the paint on the head matches the body. Details details details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home