Saturday, April 30, 2005

Movie Time

I went and saw the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy today, and I must say I was most disappointed. First I was upset that I couldn't find anyone to go with me. Yes, I went and saw a movie by myself, which I haven't done since I saw the Fifth Element. Just no one I knew wanted to see this one. Well I did ask my brother and he had plans to see it with his friends. I decided it best to catch the matinee. Let me tell you the theatre was really busy, even on a Friday afternoon. As it turns out, all the old people come out in droves for that matinee senior discount combo. It only cost them 3 bucks!

Well, where to begin with the Hitchhiker. I have just recently completed reading the entire Hitchhiker chronicles, so the story was fresh in my mind. If it weren't for that I can't help but think I would have been completely lost. What I was most surprised with was that the movie was just Douglas Adams first book "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" turned into a script. For some reason I was expecting all the books combined into one grand script. This just leaves it open to make more if the movie is a success.

The movie was just annoying to watch. The way it was edited was choppy, with the interspliceing of the guide. Once again if you hadn't read the book, I think a lot of the movie would be way over many peoples heads. Mos deff as Ford wasn't a bad pick . Same goes for the guy playing Zaphod. But Trillion and Authur were bad picks. No chemistry between them, and were supposed to believe that hes in love with her from one short conversation he had with her at a party? In the book he just kinda knew her, and blew it with her, but wasn't all I got to save her. What was up with the Vice president and Zaphod? I think the screenwriter could have done a little more development with the characters. Well maybe a lot more things needed polishing up. Its a shame to because I was really looking forward to this movie. I understand that it is sometimes difficult to make a movie match up to its book form. But if they can make it work for Harry Potter why can't this work?

As long as I'm talking movies, I finally got around to seeing Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2. Now all I have to say about these two films, is Tarantino was right, this should have been just one movie. Tarantino doesn't make great films, but he sure makes entertaining ones. The fight scenes border on ridiculous to the point they made me laugh. I think the time spent with Pei Mei should have been expanded on. The best scene in the movie was when Uma's getting buried alive. To me it really invoked the feeling of being buried alive! Good movie/s recommended

The last film I saw was Donnie Darko, which came recommended from several different people. This movie was definitely not my cup of tea. I thought it was lame to the core. Struggling to make sense of this movie gave me a real headache. The main reason for this, is a half hours worth of scenes were cut from this movie. Shame too, because the scenes really help explain a bit from what was lacking in the character development, and overall plot. The pay off, although interesting doesn't make the movie worth it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bondo said...

Well, I'm one of the Donnie Darko praisers...I don't think the additional scenes are good. It explains things TOO well and that isn't always the point.

I have only seen Kill Bill Vol. 1, it was ok, fun and stylish but not great.

I probably won't see Hitchhiker because I need to read the book first and who knows when that will happen. Guess I'm not missing much.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked it
-Andrew

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home