Friday, May 20, 2005

There's a Reason Why They're First Grade Teachers

It wouldn't be a Thursday if the damn Lonestar sponsored softball team didn't come in and keep me there all night. Only three of the team members showed up tonight. It was fortunate that they brought with them a very interesting person. The reason she was so interesting was that she is a first grade teacher at the grade school I went to when I was kid. What a small world. For a first grade teacher, she was pretty cute. She resembled Rachel Ray in a lot of ways http://www.durzy.com/pics/rachel2.JPG

Well after about an hour or so of listening to her talk to the guys it became very apparent to me why she was a first grade teacher. Now, I know an hour of conversation isn't a lot to be able to gage ones intelligence, but I think in this case it was more than enough. I mean, you would have to have something lacking if you wanted to teach little monsters, in the first place. This girl had a total lack of common knowledge. For Christ sake she learned for the first time last week how to make a paper airplane, which I replied with, "have you been living in a box for your whole life!" I can't say specifics on certain things, but this girl was just dumb. It made me appreciate Becky a whole lot more. I even said out loud after one of her moronic comments about how she hated math "I guess we know why you decided to teach first grade!" The guys got it, but she seemed perplexed. I wasn't malicious in my remarks just a little condescending.

On the other hand she had a charm to her and was very nice. I also found it interesting to know a few of my old teachers still work at the school. My 5th grade teacher Mr keeper in particular. I told her he was one of my favorite teachers of all time. He was a kind funny man, who made learning a great experience. I told her to tell him that I of all the teachers I ever had he was one of, if not the best! I mean why else would I remember his name and a lot of the projects we did so vividly. Anyways if she does manage to tell him that it might be nice to know that he had such a profound impact on one of his students. Although I haven't amounted to much yet. And considering how dumb that girl was I bet she'll have forgotten what I said.

I also informed her of my spelling blight, which I said goes way back to poor spelling test and the lack or inability on my part to read in first grade. Yeah, now whos the dumb one? She seemed a little amused of this truth, but informed me that a lot of the kids have trouble reading in first grade. I think she was just padding my ego.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bondo said...

Well, considering my sister-in-law is an Elementary teacher (4th-5th grade) I resent the implication that people choose to teach that age because they aren't bright. Then again, one reason I wouldn't want to teach elementary is I wouldn't find the kids and topics intellectually stimulating enough.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Francis I think your spelling has vastly improved since you started writing this blog.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home