Tuesday, August 16, 2005

So Ends My Dynasty

My last day at the Lone Star. In a way its a relief but at the same time its a flood of overwhelming anxiety. I just gave up everything I knew.

The night began like any other for me. I went into work as if it were any other day, which means I really didn't want to be there. Something about the Star, I don't know if its the musty smelling floorboards, or the rotten smell coming from the bowels of the bar floor drains, but I always get a headache when I'm there. Maybe its psychosomatic, because I always feel like shit wile I'm there and when I leave, I miracuously feel better. I walked through door to be greeted by a few of the host, who's names are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things; that could be said for everybody I worked with, because I have no intention of ever seeing any of them again. I was then bombarded by the "Oh Franny (I hate being called Franny, I even point that out to people, but for some odd reason girls like to completely ignore this fact and continue to call me Franny!) today's you last day? Oh we're going to miss you so much." Now why do these people feel the need to tell me they are going to miss even though we both full well know we won't miss each other? I mean if you were going to miss you then we would have to have some kind of friendship in the first place, not that co-worker "hay whats up thing" because we work together so I have to be friendly to you. The barrage of "is this your last day?" questions would continue from everyone I would talk to for the rest of the night.

I take it all in stride and give a bunch of fake smiles and phony "Oh I'm going to miss you to's!" All the wile I stand behind the bar with a grimace on my face. I really didn't want to be there today, which seems to be mental call for every Joe Smoe to come out of the woodwork and eat at the bar. We got a little busy and when I work with Manny, one of the new bartenders, you would swear the restaurant was packed. This guy runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. He's all over the place, and I think it has something to do with all the pot he smokes before work. He does a good job, its just he has a tendency to spazz out and when he spazz's it starts to make me nervous, and when I get nervous I get a little edgy or pissy. Plus it really annoys me when my fellow bartenders walk away from the bar for extended periods of time. I always make fun of the Mandroid, by saying "for Gods sake Manny make yourself useful man" as he walks past me with an extended arm full of plates. Truth be told, I probably do less work then him, but I'm/was the damn bar captain. Then Again I can make six tickets of varying complex libations in a relatively timely fashion. Like to see him do that.

For some odd reason about the time we started to get busy the managers decided to call me in the back for what is known as "round up" where they bable on about what items to try and push on people for the night. Well I surprised to find instead of the usual "sell this drink" I was greeted by a warm crowd of my co-workers (none of whom I like) gathered around a cake that had the words "Good Luck Franny" written in the center of it.

"oh Wow!" I said as everyone was circling around me. "You all shouldn't have" and I really meant that.

They then began to start clapping and saying congratulations and well all miss you. Which is interesting because most of the employees there were new ones and hadn't known me longer then a month or so. So if you can't tell by my writing style that I was a bit annoyed by all this hoo-ha. I guess I'm an ass, and should really appreciate the nice effort a few of them went through to get me a cake and card. I mean they could have gotten me nothing and I think I would have been fine with that but then who knows I would probably be bitching about the fact that no one got me anything.
I guess there's no making me happy right now.

So that was nice of everyone but like I said it just seemed so artificial, and I half believe that most of those present don't like me anyways. The rest of the night would just go. everyone who said they would show up for my last shift bailed out on me. The only one to show was this guy Paul who I think has a thing for me, or is just weird. It doesn't really matter because he's filthy rich and tips like he is. A $25 tip on a $30 bill! He's a good guy and he kept me company with his talk of his money, his boat, and his forced sounding not entirely true woman woes. That's about all he ever talks to me about. I think I've herd his same stories countless times, but like a good bartender I always act like I'm hearing them for the first time. Then after a bit, my older bro showed up out of the blue. He said he came in for my last shift. Its funny because I've been working at the Star for 6 fuck'n years and my older bro has been in more times in the last two months then the entire time I've worked there. Whats up with that?

The day was just like any other and it went like any other and it ended just like it always had, like any other, except this was the last one. The last one.......even as I write that, its hard for me to believe its finely over. I mean I wake up tomorrow and I have no job, no place to be, nothing to really do. Its like I retired.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just the beginning of what could be the best experience of your life. Take all your lessons learned, and hit the road just like you want to. Just always remember, no matter what you decide to call them, there are friends back home who will always be excited to see you. Trust me Francis, you will be missed.

4:03 PM  
Blogger franswiggidy said...

Hmm did someone I know leave this comment? was that you Bob? I got friends and pretty good ones, I just meant the people I was working with recently were a real set of tools. I won't miss, well maybe two of them off the top of my head, one bit. I was just in a funking mood when I wrote that. Say this next line in a Nazi German accent, "I trust no one!"
Anyways thanks for the kind words anonymous. :-)

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can call me Bob if you want, but it's not my name, guess you have more friends (fans) than you think!

9:00 AM  
Blogger franswiggidy said...

Yay I have fans I always wanted fandom!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, my last day at LifeSouth was a lot like that also. They threw me a party with cake and pizza and i just kind of ignored it all and did my work and then left.

2:44 PM  
Blogger franswiggidy said...

Andrew you sly devil.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...cake. Sounds delicious. But you deserve a whole fucking dessert bar with a chocolate fountain and giant marzipan flowers and neverending gobstoppers and oompa-loompas. But you should be content with what you receive. Have you ever thought that people really genuinely care about you Francis. Have you pulled your head out of your ass for long enough to recognize and appreciate that? You are a genuine person whether you admit it or not and people can see that, tools or not. Give yourself some more goddam credit please.

1:40 AM  
Blogger franswiggidy said...

Helmet I may need my Head surgically removed from my ass! Its been stuck there for quite some time now, all you have to do is ask one of my brothers!

Alright I owe them all some credit, it all just seemed so phony at the time. So is the service bizz, people come and go in the blink of an eye. I was just sad because I felt my time there was a waste it meant nothing to tho's that were saying goodbye to me. They could care less about me and I could say the same about them.

Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot from who ever you are?
I actually just assume that nobody likes me from the get go. That way I'm not surprised when I found out that they don't. Yeah I'm Genuine, but that don't get me laid, or hell a girlfriend, it just seems to be more of a burden, hindrance, curse.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could get a lot more tail if you learned how to spell...just kidding.
In order to get laid you need to go out on dates. Stop fixating on this 'Becky' girl and have a good time. Meet some people and by God, say yes if a girl asks you out!! What do you have to lose? Your dignity? Gone. Self-respect? Gone. There's nowhere to go but up. ( That last bit was a joke, buddy)

5:44 PM  
Blogger franswiggidy said...

I am one of those strange guys that doesn't date for the sake of dating and getting laid. The reason I fixate on this "Becky girl" is she is the one. My equal in every aspect, I have never met a girl like her before. Its hard to just say fuck it and oh well maybe Ill get lucky and another girl like her will come along in my life sometime. She is with out a doubt the unequivocal cats pajamas. She set the bar so high, and Francis never settles for second rate tail. Your rite, I do need to just let her go, This will all be a moot point once I leave. I look at my trip as the begining to my new life. She will be lost to me forever.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home